How we are providing emergency care during the current lockdown Click to find out more.
It is recommended to attend your dentist for an examination and professional hygiene therapy at least twice a year.
A dental exam is designed to help you keep your teeth and gums strong and disease-free, and includes gum (periodontal) evaluation, assessment of tooth wear, the bite, jaw joint health and oral cancer screening.
This allows us to be proactive in our approach to deal with potential issues when they are small and less costly to resolve.
How to brush your teeth
Twice daily brushings and regularly cleaning between your teeth are excellent for maintaining the health of your teeth and gums between check-ups. The best technique involves using a circular or elliptical motion, working across the entire mouth with your toothbrush at a 45 degree angle.
Should I clean between my teeth?
Did you know that if you clean your teeth extremely well with a toothbrush you will only be able to impact 60 % of the surfaces. The other 40% need a different method of cleaning. Plaque is a sticky layer of material that contains germs that can accumulate on teeth, including places where toothbrushes can’t reach – this can lead to gum disease and cavities in your teeth. The best way to get rid of plaque is to brush and floss your teeth carefully every day. If you struggle with floss then thankfully there are a number of alternative aids which can accomplish the same thing. Your hygienist will be able to advise you as to what options may be most appropriate to your particular circumstances.
There are two flossing methods: the spool method and the loop method. The spool method is suited for those with dexterity in their fingers. Take an 18-inch piece of floss and wind the bulk of the floss lightly around the middle finger. Wind the rest of the floss similarly around the same finger of the opposite hand. This finger takes up the floss as it becomes soiled or frayed. Manoeuver the floss between your teeth with your index fingers and thumbs. Bring the floss up and down several times, foring a “C” shape around the tooth, being sure to go below the gum line. Don’t pull it down hard against your gums or you will hurt them, and don’t rub it side to side as if you’re shining shoes.
The loop method is suited for children or for adults with less nimble hands, poor muscular conditions or arthritis. Take an 18-inch piece of floss and make it into a circle. Tie it securely with three knots. Place all of the fingers – except the thumb – within the loop. Use your index fingers to guide the floss through the lower teeth, and use your thumbs to guide the floss through the upper-teeth, going below the gumline and forming a “C” on the side of the tooth).
Does my diet affect this?
Yes, eating a balanced diet helps many things, including your dental health, as it helps to provide the nutrients your teeth need. Limiting your sugar intake (even avoiding simple carbohydrates like white bread) as well as drinking plenty of water throughout the day can make a difference.
Vitamins are also important for maintaining your oral health, so eating a varied diet can help to provide all of the vitamins you’ll need.
I was looking for a holistic dentist who could offer a metal free implant, i.e. a zirconium implant. As a result of Neeraj Puri using laser technology during the treatment I found that there was almost no swelling and very little pain immediately after the dental surgery. After having had dental work over a number of years with other dentists, I can honestly say that Neeraj’s advice and technical ability is second to none. As a result, I now have a metal free zirconium implant which is functioning perfectly and has fully integrated into my jaw just like a natural tooth.
Our use of lasers puts us at the forefront of futuristic dentistry, as we offer an experience that has minimal discomfort and faster healing.
Our selection of lasers include our state of the art Waterlaser, a low level laser therapy (LLLT) laser, a soft tissue laser and a diagnostic laser.
Proving much safer than typical drills and with the chance to be more affordable than standard fees, our laser technology is helping us enter the future of dental surgery.